20 February 2008

The brain's fundamental secret will be laid open one day

Its rousing climax left behind in chapter four, Saturday's dénouement forces us to reflect on the limitations of both the sciences and the humanities. Operating on Baxter, Perowne thinks, "Just like the digital codes of replicating life held within DNA, the brain's fundamental secret will be laid open one day. But even when it has, the wonder will remain, that mere wet stuff can make this bright inward cinema of thought, of sight and sound and touch bound into a vivid illusion of an instantaneous present, with a self, another brightly wrought illusion, hovering like a ghost at its centre. Could it ever be explained, how matter becomes conscious? . . . He knows it will come, the secret will be revealed--over decades, as long as the scientists and the institutions remain in place, the explanations will refine themselves into an irrefutable truth about consciousness" (262-63).

Do you agree with Henry's faith in science? In terms of the problems presented in Saturday, what can science solve, and what can it not? Can the humanities step in where science is limited? You must give at least two examples from your reading.

Your post of no less than 400 words is due by 11:59PM, Thursday, 21 February.

6 comments:

Heaven Lee said...

COMMENT OUR POSTS.

Jeez. I check this thing like every day and there are never any comments!


Jeez.

Ian Dunne said...

I KNOW FOR REAL! Every single (single!) day since Friday I have checked dis blog.





And every single (single!) time I check, I am more and more disappointed.

Heaven Lee said...

I still don't see any comments.


UGH!


I WANT SOME COMMENTS.


Please.


Thanks.

Heaven Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heaven Lee said...

Still no comments.


I'm going to go on a writer's strike.


You wait and see.


Just wait.

Ian Dunne said...

The link "0 Comments" has become more of a reality for me. I don't expect any more, or any less.